The Blog of Jas

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Church Annoyances: I'm taking up my cross

So this is my occasional segment on things that have annoy me about church or associated events. If you're one of those people who would prefer to not read such things, you now have two choices:
1. Get over it.
2. Stop reading.

Now that that's been said, today's annoyance comes as i visit Paul's church. Nothing at all to do with his church, it just reminded me of something i saw at an event a month or so ago...

The song "Pick it Up", actually not an entirely terrible song (apart from the bridge which makes me cringe every time i hear it, mostly because it was ripped off a song done in WA 4 or 5 years ago which was also cringe-worthy). Sometimes i wonder if we even remember what we're talking about when we sing it though. "Yeah! I'm taking up my cross as i jump up and down here at the front completely ignoring everyone else!" Be interesting to see how our lives would look if we really did. I think sometimes in our church culture we make it really easy for it to think we're "taking up our cross" and "following Jesus" because we turn up at all the events at church, and help out at some "awesome" events, and make sure we put lots money in the offering to support "God's work". Nothing wrong with any of this, but it seems a fair way away from what Jesus seemed to be talking about.

Anyway I'm getting off track. At this event I was at a while ago, they did the aforementioned song, including the chorus to the effect of "I'm taking up my cross, laying down my life...". They then went into an instrumental bit where they did the "Planetshakers thing", where the worship leader turns to the bass player and says something to the effect of "[insert name here], are you taking up your cross?" and the bass player follows by doing a fancy bass solo. Lather, rinse, and repeat for guitarist and drums.

Now I've got no problem with people having impressive musical abilities (and maybe I'm just jealous :P), but am I the only one who sees the problem with "yeah, I'm taking up my cross and laying down my life by making everyone think I'm cool because I'm in the spotlight doing a solo on my instrument"? Surely there's a better message we can be sending about what it means to truly take up our cross.

2 Comments:

  • I'm taking up my cross, I'm laying down my life.. for Jesus..

    I can't do anything on my own, everything I can do, is done by the grace of God..

    It is something I find annoying also..the 'limelight' factor..

    By Blogger Stephanie Jewell, at 1:56 am  

  • Great blog Jas. I really appreciated and agreed with what you wrote. (and now I have that terrible song in my head!)

    I find that taking up our cross/laying down our life should be a personal decision, not something we should jump around to. But that's just me set in my ways. :P

    I'm glad that you can recognise what you have jas, because so many people can't...

    By Blogger Achi Myachi, at 8:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home